Norman Nicholson Scholarship
Deed of Award
- Description of Award
- This award shall be known as the Norman L. Nicholson Memorial Scholarship in Cartography. Dr. Nicholson was a well known and respected educator and member of the Canadian Cartographic Association. He had a long and distinguished career in government and academe, where his interests lay in the history of cartography and Canadian government mapping, in particular the National Atlas of Canada.
- The award is administered by the Canadian Cartographic Association.
- The purpose of the award is to recognize and encourage exceptional student achievement and ability in any aspect of cartography.
- The award shall consist of a certificate and a cheque for $500. The scholarship will not be awarded until a principal sum of at least $5,000 has been accumulated.
- A decision shall be made annually on the disbursement of the award.
- The award shall be made to a student in good standing who is registered full-time in a recognized college or university program. The student must be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant.
- The student will be in one of the following situations: entering the final year of a community college of CEGEP program in cartography, OR entering the final year of an undergraduate honours program with a concentration in cartography, OR a student accepted into or enrolled in a graduate program with a concentration in cartography.
- Any student awarded this scholarship is not eligible in any subsequent year.
- The award is tenable only in the year in which it is granted.
- A student member who wishes to compete for the award will submit an application consisting of the following:
- an official transcript of all college or university courses completed and grades received.
- letters of recommendation from two faculty members who are familiar with the student's work and capabilities. Letters of Recommendation are to be sent directly to the Award Committee.
- a one-page statement from the student regarding plans for continuing education in cartography.
- The application will be submitted to the Award Committee of the Canadian Cartographic Association by March 15th of the year in which the award is to be granted.
- Award Committee
- The Award Committee shall consist of a chairperson, who shall be the Past-President of the Canadian Cartographic Association and two committee members who shall be the President and Vice-President of the Canadian Cartographic Association.
- The two committee members shall be appointed each year at the fall executive meeting of the Canadian Cartographic Association.
- The committee shall evaluate each application received on the basis of material submitted in accordance with Section 3 (Eligibility).
- The committee shall make a decision on the award by Spring Executive Meeting of the year in which the award is to be presented.
- If the committee decides that the application of highest ranking is not of sufficiently high quality, no award need be given in that year.
- Announcement of Award Winner
- The winner of the award shall be notified by the Past-President of the Canadian Cartographic Association at least 4 weeks prior to the date of the Award announcement.
- The announcement (or presentation) of the award shall be made by the President of The Canadian Cartographic Association at the Association Banquet held during the Annual Meeting.
- The student must accept the award in writing within two weeks of notification by the Past-President.
- Term of the Award
- The award is to continue indefinitely, subject to the availability of funds.
- Change to Terms of the Award
- At such time as any part of this Deed of Award may be inapplicable to conditions which exist, the Award Committee can make the necessary changes subject to the subsequent approval of the executive.
- Address of Award Committee
- Your application and all letters of recommendation should be sent to:
Secretary, Canadian Cartographic Association
708 Paul Metivier Drive,
Nepean, ON K2J 2T4